Thursday, January 15, 2009

Searching for the best intel uATX motherboard intel rumors and other intel joy


Rumor has it that intel will cut the price on the quad-core "Kentsfield" Q6600 processor to $266 around July. The link is in Chinese, look at the image halfway down the page (the image is in English).If true, that could be the hot (no pun intended) seller of the summer. I think I'll hold off on buying a Core 2 Duo for now. Also, don't forget that intel is expected to induce price drops to the Core 2 line on April 22nd...the above mentioned Q6600 should be dropping to $530, currently $851.Last summer the local Fry's Electronics had a bundle consisting of a Pentium D 930 (dual-core 3 GHz Pentium 4) and a low-end ECS motherboard for $169. The processor alone was retailing for more then $169 so I snapped it up. It had been working fine but one of the drawbacks of the included "better then free" motherboard was that it did not support dual-channel mode for the RAM. The memory performance was absolutely horrible, with single channel DDR-400 RAM it benchmarked worse then a Athlon XP 1600+ and not that much better then a Pentium III combined with SDRAM! This past weekend I decided to upgrade to a better motherboard, one that could also provide future support for a Core 2 Duo or Quad as well as better memory performance. My case only supports micro ATX motherboards and at first I did not realize how limited my options were. With the idea for overclocking in mind the best motherboard I could find was the

No comments:

INTEL TECHNOLOGIES